Deep insights and analysis for your testing needs
A variety of Microbiome & Germ-Free testing capabilities are available based on your research needs.
Germ-Free Complete Profile
Generic bacterial 16S rRNA PCR assay paired with sterility testing with anaerobic culture
16S ribosomal RNA (or 16S rRNA) is the RNA component of the 30S subunit of a prokaryotic ribosome The genes coding for it are referred to as 16S rRNA gene and are used in reconstructing phylogenies, due to the slow rates of evolution of this region of the gene
- Detects both non-cultivable and cultivable bacteria
- Detects fungi
- Provides IDs for bacteria found by MALDI-TOF MS
Feces (F) Collection
- Sample Collection: Fecal pellets should be collected aseptically and placed in individually labeled sterile tubes. If testing individual mice/rats, submit fecal pellets from each animal. Two to three pellets per animal is adequate. If collecting fecal pellets from multiple animals, gloves should be changed and forceps replaced between animals to prevent cross-contamination. Alternatively, forceps can be wiped clean and immersed in diluted bleach (10%) solutionfor 10 minutes prior to reuse.
- Sample Handling: Fecal samples should be stored in the refrigerator until ready to send.
- Sample Shipment: Place labeled sample tubes in a polystyrene box and ship overnight to our laboratory. Samples should be shipped on ice packs.
Results turnaround is 13–15 business days after receipt of samples. You will receive an automated PDF with results. Raw data without interpretation will be sent.
- DNA isolation–from all bacteria in the sample
- Deep sequencing–generates 200–500 megabases of sequence
- Data comparison and analysis–our bioinformatics produces a comparative analysis to known bacterial sequences
- Bacterial Identification–identifies all bacteria present and their relative abundance
Mouse/Rat Fecal Sample Collection
- Sample Collection: Use sterile toothpicks, autoclaved microisolator cages (completely empty), sterile 5 mL tubes. Pre-label tube (one per mouse/rat) with Sample ID (minimum) and treatment group, if applicable; any other metadata you would like associated with the sample. Place individual animal in empty autoclaved cage (no bedding). Allow mouse/rat to defecate normally and collect the first two faecal pellets per animal into an empty 5 mL tube using a sterile toothpick. Close tube securely. Discard toothpick after each animal. Place tube containing faecal pellets in -80°C freezer IMMEDIATELY.
- Sample Storage: Maintain samples at -80°C until ready to ship. Samples may remain at -80°C for extended periods.
- Sample Shipment: Ship samples overnight with sufficient dry ice (minimum of 5kg for 2-3-day transport time) to ensure the samples stay frozen.
Note: We recommend collection of all samples at the same time of day, preferably in the morning, as the microbiome content varies over the course of the day.
Results turnaround is 4 weeks after receipt of samples. You will receive an USB datastick with results as well as a link to a DropBox folder if preferred.