Sample Collection & Shipping Guidelines
Mouse/Rat Fecal Sample Collection
Following is the procedure for collection of murine fecal samples to be used for characterization of the fecal microbiota via 16S rRNA sequencing.
- Sterile toothpicks.
- Autoclaved microisolator cages (completely empty).
- Sterile 1.5 mL Eppendorf tubes.
- Pre-label Eppendorf tubes (one per mouse/rat).
- Sample ID (minimum).
- Treatment group, if applicable.
- Any other metadata you would like associated with the sample.
- Place individual animal in empty autoclaved cage (no bedding).
- Allow mouse/rat to defecate normally and collect the first two fecal pellets per animal into an empty 1.5 mL Eppendorf tube using a sterile toothpick. Close tube securely. Discard toothpick after each animal.
- Place Eppendorf tube containing fecal pellets in -80°C freezer IMMEDIATELY.
- Maintain samples at -80°C until ready to ship. Samples may remain at -80°C for extended periods.
- Ship samples overnight with sufficient dry ice (2-3 day transport time) to ensure the samples stay frozen.
Note: We recommend collection of all samples at the same time of day, preferably in the morning, as the microbiome content varies over the course of the day.
Have questions or need additional information?
Let's get you connected to an experienced account manager or customer support representative. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below.
Material Request Form
Submit your material requests with this easy-to-use, editable PDF order form.
To submit samples, please login to your account.
If you do not have an account, please fill out the new client registration form below, and our CSS team will assist in getting your account created.
Complete the below form to access our 2022 IDEXX BioAnalytics EU Directory of Services. Find product codes, profiles, panels and a complete list of research lab testing support services.